Saturday, April 21, 2012

Botting

So we all know that if you bot, and then try to trade on this site, it's not allowed.

Even thought we have this rule, we don't really care, and I'd say we even welcome it. It adds more items to the pool to choose from, and lowers prices for items we might have never been able to get.

If we REALLY cared, we would ban people who quite obviously are botting. The ones that have absolutely HUUUUUGE trade lists (and often! they don't seem to need much time to generate all that ewealth at all), more than several hundred items on them (all of them top items mostly that people actually use, not low sets or low uniques), or the ones with gigantic torch lists, or monstrous anni lists.

So I was wondering if that's how other people see this too, or if it's just me. Perhaps I'm being a douche by this, perhaps not.

We have a "moral" ideal about botting, but it's so easy to just not care about it for the sake of ease.

What do you guys think? |||i think that you have no grasp on how quickly a shrewd trader can accumulate wealth through bnet and forum trades.

be careful who you point fingers at...you won't make many friends by being so quick to accuse.|||if you do this activity inform me if you find a 90+ mana, 20 or more pdr amulet or circlet please.

i'll trade nice items for it.|||Wendigoo, I just posted a thread where I talk about botting as something bad, I'm kinda confused on why you think I possibly bot haha.|||It might not be "right" to accuse people of botting in my thoughts, but I have to admit I sometimes come across a trade post in our forum that makes my alarm bells go off. It usually looks very similar to this:

FT:

Shako

Shako

Shako

Shako

Shako

Dungos

Dungos

Dungos

Dungos

Dungos

Gaze

Gaze

Gaze

Gaze

Gaze

Arachnid

Arachnid

Arachnid

x20 Arachnid

etc

etc

I am sure you get the point. It's obvious from the restricted tc pool, with tons of the best items but no crap items, that they might be botting exp runs and using some kind of pickit program that only bothers grabbing good stuff, while leaving the junk.

The mods here have made their stance pretty clear... they hate botting as much as any of us do, but there is a slippery slope if you just "guess" someone is cheating, so I doubt they'd ban someone from this site unless there was proof - like someone dumb enough to admit they were doing it =p|||Yeah Knarl, I saw a trade thread today EXACTLY like that (except even more so) and it just made me think about this for a little bit. But you're completely right about the dangers of assuming people are botting, and then banning everyone and anyone who seems suspicious.

It's just frustrating sometimes.

What I wonder is what these people *do* with all this wealth. Continually make top gear characters? They gather so much stuff they could fill probably 10 accounts of perfect builds.

Personally, the time spent scrounging for the items is sometimes more fun than the end character (unless said character is a dueler).

I just checked out this persons trade list, and for god sakes, and among the other items they're selling, they also have 189 socketables for trade...yeah. You get what I'm saying.

By the way, what does tc mean? In this context: "restricted tc pool"|||Quote:








By the way, what does tc mean? In this context: "restricted tc pool"




If you have not already, try searching this thread.|||How do you know?

From this forums, I know few family-members, personal-friends and co-workers play together and share accounts *Main/Rushing/BO-Chant/Mule*

It's possible to have a list like that!

I'm with superdave, but I have seen some old/active/new members with

Maphack/PvP-mods/CS&Baal-bot/MF-bot and Pickit, yet

They are/were most giving members

Frustrating = Lag-era *Ladder III* of the Diablo II = *Poofed!*|||I wouldn't accuse the Torch people in this just yet, it's pretty easy to trade for whatever the items are that you need to go in that Portal. Organ sets, whatever. Those were/are even considered a currency type and aren't exactly difficult to farm.|||There is absolutely no question that people with multiple CoA's, fathoms, death cleavers, etc...and gigantic valuable trade lists are botting or in some way playing non-legit. Is it possible they are above board? Sure. Is it even remotely likely? No.

I AM a shrewd trader. I AM a skilled and avid magic finder. And even in my heyday, playing hours a day, I couldn't have generated the lists some of these people had a few weeks in.

That said, innocent until proven guilty.

Also, I'd exclude the anni farmers and the Torch runners as I highly doubt anyone would want to bot those or that there would be any point. Keys, maybe. The annis are farmable by people that are very dedicated and willing to spend days on end parked on IRC. No need to suspect botting there.

Its an elephant in the middle of the room, but its been there for a while now and I don't see it changing.

Please note, I'm talking solely of the lists we ALL look at and say, "there is no chance that person isn't botting their butt off". I'm not talking about people that just trade shrewdly. There's an obvious and apparent difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment