Thursday, April 19, 2012

Project BotEars - A bot killing guide

Meet BotEars, my mule which currently holds 88 ears, all from different bots.





I started this project a while ago this ladder, mainly because I wanted to see how the bots would react once you go hostile. Well over 100 bot kills and many angry whispers later, this is what I've learned.

1. Different types of bots

In general, the bots can be divided into three different groups:

  1. Chickens

  2. Passive

  3. Agressive



1.1. Chickens

These bots drop from the game instantly when you go hostile. This means that there is really nothing you can do to kill them yourself. However, there is a method which works for some of them. More about that later (section 3)

1.2. Passive

These guys won't even react to you going hostile. They continue to invite to party and will very rarely attack you. The only danger here is if you walk into some hammers flying around. Keep your distance and it will be fine.



1.3. Agressive

My favorites. These bots usually say something directly to you, smack talk you a bit. The lines are usually "YourName is about to die" and "YourName REALLY, lol".

This kind of bots will attack you as soon as you get close, often ignoring mobs and making you the priority target. If they are hammerdins, they will tele stomp you and spam hammers. As most people who have done pvp knows, this is possible to avoid, but can get dirty if your timing is off.





2. Killing the bots

So, what do you need to be able to kill the bots? I say the two vital things are high damage output and fast teleport.

The high damage is needed for one reason: all bots will chicken and leave the game when they have low health. You need the high damage to take them out before they do that.

In order to reach the bots before it is time for the new game, it is also important to have a decent tele speed. However, you can always target Diablo runs instead, which will be faster to reach even with a slow teleport.

2.1. Build suggestions

Casters are the easiest, since they can keep distance from the hammers and often reach high damage output. I guess it is possible with a melee char also, but it will be much more difficult and have a lower success rate.

You don't need super awesome PvP gear to get kills. Most of the time standard pvm gear will work like a charm.

Some builds which will work well:
  • Lightning Sorc (what I use)

  • Blizzard sorc

  • Fire ball sorc

  • Trapper

  • (Your suggestion here)



3. Mob kills

There is another way of killing the bots. As Turbine posted in this thread, sometimes it is possible to "freeze" the bots by typing loads of dots ".........." in the chat window. This will cause many bots to just stand still and eventually drop to timeout.

This is the way to handle the Chicken bots. Dot freeze them at one of the waves at Baal, or in the middle of mobs in any other place. Then just sit back and look. Sometimes they will stay in the game long enough to get killed by mobs, sometimes not. If they do die, they also loose loads of xp. The higher level of the bot, the more damage you do.

This method can also be combined with you going hostile and "helping" the mobs. Good if your char doesn't have a high enough damage output.







And with that I conclude my little guide. Feel free to ask questions.

How many mules full of ears can we get?

Have fun

HerrPall|||Should be mighty fun, pity I have non-tele Javazon.|||This is so much fun with doin the "............." thing, anyway nice one m8, thats a fine collection of ears right there hehe!|||Herrpall the bounty hunter. With his deafening cut-ear approach no bot will ever be safe again. Or hear anything for that matter. |||I'm on 50 ears right now, switching between magicfind runs and bot killing makes the game more fun :)

M.|||It is fun, and an awesome way of gold finding Only takes a handful of games to fill your char and gamble away.

Good job Marapper. Keep it going |||This thread brings back good memories; bot hunting was my preferred method of goldfinding a few ladders back.

You could even add cs-'zons to the (your suggestion here) spot. They don't even need to be super expensively geared, I think my old ladder one was using a Vipermagi/Spirit/M'av's helm and belt/random T'strokes/shopped spearmaiden's gloves, I want to say Highlord's was her most expensive item. I'd usually find a bot in 'Hammachaos-90,' hostile it and beat it to the waypoint, throw down a valk and decoy, and poke away. Go to -91, -92, etc. until it ran out of coins (bots in the high nineties do drop a lot).

Maybe I'll have to dust the old 'zon off. Happy hunting!|||I love you. |||This should be sticky, Ill try it, I only have 1 question I am confused as to why dots confuse the bots that much...|||Quote:








This thread brings back good memories; bot hunting was my preferred method of goldfinding a few ladders back.

You could even add cs-'zons to the (your suggestion here) spot. They don't even need to be super expensively geared, I think my old ladder one was using a Vipermagi/Spirit/M'av's helm and belt/random T'strokes/shopped spearmaiden's gloves, I want to say Highlord's was her most expensive item. I'd usually find a bot in 'Hammachaos-90,' hostile it and beat it to the waypoint, throw down a valk and decoy, and poke away. Go to -91, -92, etc. until it ran out of coins (bots in the high nineties do drop a lot).

Maybe I'll have to dust the old 'zon off. Happy hunting!




Beating the bots to the wp is a great way, especially if you feel a bit lazy and want to do a minimal amount of work. Here they usually don't fight back as they enter some prebuff loop. Easy kill, easy gold :)


Quote:








I love you.




You make me blush


Quote:








This should be sticky, Ill try it, I only have 1 question I am confused as to why dots confuse the bots that much...




It must be some sort of coding mistake behind this. Lack of try/catch in the code? Possibly they scan what people write and get a stack overflow? Maybe they confuse the dots with some sort of command and then can't make out what it means? I'm not sure, but it is a bug the botters can fix. And they probably will.

No comments:

Post a Comment