Saturday, April 21, 2012

16 and 26 key = bad :p

Hi! I just bought a new copy of D2LOD from the official site for easy mule and solo-rush and I got 2x26 cd key, while my old copy of D2LOD is a 2x16 key one.

Now I wonder what I should do to install the new copy while keeping the old one and its keys >.<

A- Rename the directory of the old copy and then download and install the new one

B- Unistall the old copy, install the new one, rename it and reinstall the old one

C- Uinstall the old copy, convert the 16 keys into 26 ones (is there a way?), install the new copy twice

D- ?

I hope you can help me, thank you ^^

Edit:

I've found out that I can convert my old 16 keys into 26 ones at the official site.

Now can I go with method A or is it better to unistall the old copy and double install the new one?

Thank you ^^|||I beleive there is an option D available here.

Never tried the installer from digital verison of the game, but I assume you can choose which folder and name of it when installing the game.

Thus keep the old copy, download and install the one from battle.net, but make sure it doesn't install to a folder called "Diablo II" (assuming you didn't change the name in your first install). Instead change it to something like "Diablo two" "Diablo 2" etc, and it should work.



Do note that you cannot run the game multiple times under the same user (Windows operating system at least) without a 3rd party program, which most likely will be a bannable offence on closed battle.net.

However you can run the game under different users on the same machine, using the fast user switch option (again assuming Windows OS).



Your 16 digit key can be changed into a 26 one by registering that copy of the game with your battle.net account. You'll need to choose a different language though. IE UK English for 1 copy of classic and LoD, and US English for the second copy.

Edit: That is unless they changed how you register your games (cd-keys) on battle.net since I last registered my games.|||I downloaded D2, the install program lets me play only, it doesn't ask if I want to install it. Should I try to rename the old copy directory and see what happens?

Edit: I renamed the old copy directory from "Diablo II" to "Diablo II - 16", then I installed the DD version in "Diablo 2". There's a problem, when I run the new copy and try to play online it says something like "Battle.net cannot recognize the version of the game". Anyway to solve this? The DD copy should be a 1.12 version; btw the old copy goes smooth still.|||You could try and patch the game manually and see what happens. I've seen that error message before, but the solution eludes me.

Anyway here's the link to Blizzard's page for manually downloading and installing patches.

If it doesn't work, I'd try searching google if you haven't already, or do a re-install of both copies.

Start with the digital download, then install from your CD's. It's what I would do anyway. Good luck! :)|||Alredy tried to manually patch and it didn't work.

After that I unistalled both copies and started to install the dd one; when I try to patch (in game) it says:

"Patching cannot be completed because the patch archive is corrupt.

File name: D2XP_IX86_112a_113c.mpq"

Then I reinstalled the DD copy again..omg..and again the same error occurred; so I tried to patch it manually, it went smooth the first run, then I restarted the game to see if it was really ok and I was back to the first error: "Unable to detect the version blabla".

Maybe I should download the DD version again? Maybe it's corrupted?



Edit: If I run the game as Admin it works..BUT something is wrong, it's extremly laggy and slow..it's gonna be a long fight.

Edit2: Ok, I've made few fix and now seems to work fine. Now..to install the second copy (the old one) should I use the DD again since I've claimed my old keys and converted them to 26 keys? Ot should I rename and use the cds? Thank you.

Edit3: The DD doesn't work for a second installation, then I'm using the CDs.

Edit4: Ok last update, it worked! Thank you Korialstraz for your help, probably I could have skipped the whole thing if I've run the DD copy as an administrator the first time..lol|||Glad to hear it worked out! And sorry I couldn't be of more help, since I've only registered the games to store my keys, and never actually used the digital copies.

Sounds like you're running Windows Vista or 7? In which case running (and installing) older programs as admin can solve a lot of issues. >_>|||Hello,

Judging by the fact that you got that error, I think it's safe to assume that the OS you are using is either Windows Vista or Windows 7.

I've had that mentioned problem before... and as far as I've come to see, it's an administrative problem. The game is trying to write in a place in which it doesn't have the permission to write (for the patch.)

My advice would be to right click the icon, and click "properties." Go to the compatibility tab, and check the box next to "Run this program as an administrator" under Privilege Level.

If you are running Windows Vista or 7, I also recommend checking the box next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and making sure the dropdown box below it says "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)".

And as for running two copies of the game, I can't offer much help there as that isn't something I've done (at least not on the same PC) but I'm pretty sure it isn't as simple as renaming the directory... you won't be able to launch two copies unless you use a loader (which is considered a hack by blizzard) or use another method such as installing the game under a different user account (only for that account) and then using fast user switching (logging off one account, while leaving the programs running on that account, and then logging onto the second one.)

Although like I said. That's not something I have experience doing. But I hope that helps in solving your problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment