Thursday, April 19, 2012

Help me pick out Act 1 Merc gear

I decided to go with an Act 1 Rogue Merc (ice arrows) for the 1pt smiter I'm building to (eventually) do Ubers. I haven't played any melee characters this season, so I decided to play through the game with him, rather than have him rushed. I do not expect the Merc to survive Uber Trist or the Organ bosses, hence the reason I'm not going to pour my resources into "ZOMG ICE BOW ETH FORT ETH ANDY" (though I might consider an Ice bow if my zealot has trouble and will benefit a lot from the Holy Freeze). My zealot is basically a decently-geared fanat zealot who should be self-sufficient for most of the game, and optimized for the Uber quest. Therefore, my pally will be doing the kill and the tanking, and the Merc will hopefully help out by picking off a few monsters while my Pally zeals away at the main pack and by providing quirks like freezing, CtC curses, etc. Here is his setup, in case it helps:

Grief PB

Sanctuary Zakarum Shield (got a 50% roll I might reroll if it noticeably sucks)

CtA + Spirit on switch

Guillaums (probably switch to Gaze for general gameplay)

Fort armor

Dracs

Dungos

Gores

Highlords

Raven

I'll come up with something for the other ring slot lol got plenty of candidates.

This is, however, not a "rate my zmiter" thread. I just listed the setup to give you a general idea on what my Merc will be augmenting.

Here are the gears I'm considering:

Weapon:

WWS - The main merit of this bow is that I have 2 sitting around in my mules :P Also, I was hoping that Amp damage might help breaking some PI's as my zealots pretty much purely physical and will have CtA on switch instead or Lightsabre or such. I'm also hoping that the 20% magic damage conversion from If I use this, what should I socket? Shaels? I'm also worried that Amp Damage CtC and Life Tap CtC from Dracs will compete against each other. I don't think I'll need LT too much for pre-Uber patriarch run, so I really wouldn't mind having Amp Damage or LT cast at any give situation, but point me toward the right direction if this is a completely misguided bravado. Plus I'm SURE that my Pally will be attacking and hitting much more in general than my merc, so it'll mostly be Life Tap being cast all over the place. By the way, do Rogue Mercs also benefit from LT? If it does, does that mean I can forgo LL on the Merc, since she won't be tanking anyway?

Harmony - I lose out on some benefits of WWS, but I gain Vigor, which should significantly speed up the playthrough, in terms of running around looking for WP's etc. There will be no teleporting because I won't bother putting an Enigma on this char + the associated gear change every time I have to teleport.

Helm:

Gaze - I have 3, so I might as well use one? heehee

I have no other candidates, but recommendations are welcome, though, if you were going to recommend Andy, I'll probably stick with Gaze because I think they're more or less the same on a Merc, and the high lvl requirement of Andy means it's only helpful for the endgame Merc, which is exactly the opposite of what I need from this gameplay companion that will pretty much retire once I start doing Trist.

Armor:

Shaftstop - I have a couple, so I might as well use it haha

Duriel's Shell - Again, just because I have one.

Treachery - What's a good IAS to hit for a Rogue Merc anyway? Will this + 2xShael'd WWS be good enough? Plus, it's cheap and Fade is nice.

Duress?

Stone?

As you can see, I'm rather disposed towards using stuff I already have, but gear recommendations are very welcome, as long as a single piece of gear doesn't exceed 2-3 Ist runes worth of value and are easy to find and trade for, unless the said piece of gear is SO effective and is the only way that will get me through the game.

So the bottom line is, I'm not necessarily asking for the ultimate Merc setup; I've seen plenty of those via the search function. I just alway wanted to use a Rogue Merc, but could never find the right char to do it with (most, if not all, of my chars end up using Holy Freeze merc from Act2...).

Knock yourselves out and help me find the best cost/efficiency compromise for this strictly support Merc.|||dont use WWS, guaranteed amp will proc when you need to be life tapping. i'd go with ice, faith, or harmony.|||It's not like the merc will be alive in UT. And everywhere else Amp > Life Tap imo.

No comments:

Post a Comment